Welcome to The Little Box of Treasures, my blog. It's all about making jewellery, crocheting, baking, making caterpillar costumes for my 13 year-old brother, that sort of thing.



Thursday 19 August 2010

In This Style 10/6 (or completely free when you follow the pattern!)

It worked! Yay! I can finally upload the pictures and attempt to put on a pattern...

By the way, crochet...ing.. is not for old ladies. Not that they don't do it too but.... anyway, I find crochet an easier alternative to knitting- it grows faster, it only has one needle, stitches are easily picked up again if dropped, the needle is only attatched to one stitch, you don't need to be super advanced to make cool shapes (like the hat :) ), and the stitches are so easy to undo if you make a mistake. I'm sure there are loads more but that's all I can think of right now :).


I decided to photograph it on a teapot with ribbons on for some reason :)






Here is the pattern. It probably doesn't make any sense but there you go :) By the way, if you are learning how to crochet, I would recommend youtube- it's much better than instructions being written down because people show you. That's pretty much how I learnt anyway :)

By the way,

ch = chain- wrap round, pull through
sc = single crochet- insert into next stitch, wrap round, pull through, wrap round, pull through
slip stitch = insert into next stitch, wrap round, pull through
inc= increase (sc 2 in one stitch)
dec= decrease (sc 2 together)

I'm only saying this because when I was learning crochet, I strangely discovered that sometimes 'single crochet' means 'double crochet', or the other way around I suppose. I don't know why...

You need:

4mm crochet hook (that's what I did it with anyways)
Wool in 3 different colours- I used a berry-coloured one, black and white
A darning needle
An ordinary needle
Thread

How to do it:

Main hat:

Round 1: ch 2, sc 6 in first stitch (6) <-- the number of stitches, by the way
Round 2: [sc 1, inc] around (9)
Round 3: [sc 1, inc] 4 times, sc 1 (13)
Round 4: [sc 1, inc] 6 times, sc 1 (19)
Round 5: [sc 1, inc] 9 times, sc 1 (28)
Round 6: [sc 1, inc] around, slip stitch (42)
Round 7: sc around in back loops of stitches (42)
Round 8: [sc 2, dec] 10 times, sc 2 (32)
Round 9: [sc 2, dec] around (24)
Round 10: [sc 1, dec] around (16)
Rounds 11-13: sc around (16)
Round 14: sc around in back loops of stitches (16)
Round 15: [sc 1, inc] around (24)
Round 16: [sc 1, inc] around, slip stitch, fasten off.

Hat band:

Row 1: ch 18
Row 2: sc 17
Row 3: chain 1, sc 17, fasten off.

Hat card:

Row 1: ch 5
Row 2: sc 4
Rows 3-5: ch 1, sc 4
Row 6: ch 1, sc 4, fasten off

Now you can sew '10/6' onto the hat card with some wool (I used a darning needle with the big holes)... you can sew 'In this style' as well if you want and are insane at sewing.
Then sew the hat card to the hat, and then the hat band, et VOILA! You're very own mini Mad Hatter's hat :)
You can make it into a pin cushion by making a circle that's big enough to fit into the gap at the bottom of the hat, stuff the hat and sew on the circle. 

Have fun, my lovelies :)
Caitlin

P.S. Homer's 'The Odyssey' is so depressing! I'm reading it for school and they are crying and moaning constantly! I know they have good reason to do so but still!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment